If an Indian tribe, worked through all the bureaucratic process with the Bureau of Indian Affairs and could build an internet casino in downtown Enid, will you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos across the state, you probably run into other folks you know from Enid, partaking within the recreation provided by the casinos. These are the same people that have left our town and they are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping on the stores, eating in the restaurants, and staying with the hotels inside the area.
A brief history:
The capability to run bingo games was among the numerous concessions made to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person designed a bingo game that appeared as if a video slot. We have seen small digital bingo card in the top corner in the display screen of the slot machine. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos begun to spring up everywhere. After all, you were still playing bingo, just inside a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact between the tribes as well as the State of Oklahoma allowed the usage of Vegas style slots, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and they are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino can only be built within historic tribal boundaries after which placed in the trust while using U.S. government. Since Enid has no casino, would be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it absolutely was found, that ahead of the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part of the Cherokee Outlet, occupied through the Cherokee people following a Treaty of New Echota as well as the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the region was a hunting ground with the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us to within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive areas of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are taken up operate tribal governments and programs for the citizens. In addition, a portion with the revenue is split with all the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize the revenues to enhance infrastructure.
3. Related places of interest are built.
4. Jobs are manufactured.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons discovered that over 80 percent of the visitors to casinos were interested in also doing something aside from gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions including family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative get more info economic development between American Indians and non-Indian people.
10. Casinos give a magnet for outside money that would not previously exist.
11. Local resident who employed to travel outside from the area now stays within the area.
12. More construction jobs are set up building casinos.
13. Gambling can be an accepted way for governments to raise funds. It is seen as source of money which is easier to obtain because it is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the subsequent businesses showed an rise in profits, attendance, and customers after an internet casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more frequently
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative aspects of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes an addiction.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time used on useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amounts of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes are also influencing gambling along with other policies affecting Native Americans by handing a lot to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is an increase inside the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is termed an action addiction. When gambling, those hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more often, it contributes to tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so that it takes more gambling far better stakes, to have the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine gambling illuminates the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an internet casino were to petition to come to downtown Enid, what would be your opinion? Do you think it might enhance our community or bring social problems natural meats not want to cope with?